Monday, August 25, 2008

Warming up

I'm gradually warming up to the idea of mantras and chanting. There are several that I really resonate with and will list them at the bottom for anyone who is curious.

I've come to realize that mantra meditation is a truly powerful practice and that sound is able to affect the chemistry of the body and mind. Think back to times in church when you've sung a song that you really love...don't you feel the energy surge through your body often times causing some type of emotional release (a smile, a tear, etc.)? How about in your car when you hear a great song on the radio and sing along loudly and without inhibition?

I love music, always have, and I know now that mantras are just another form of music and worship. My problem was that I didn't agree with certain mantras, but now that I've found ones I can and am willing to sing, I'm really excited to start a mantra meditation practice.

Listed below are a few mantras (traditional and contemporary) that I have a new love for:

Blessed Always,
Blessed Always,
For the arms of God surround us.
Let our joy be so triumphant,
That we rest in God and say Amen.
-Donna De Lory

I Am who I Am that is that,
I Am who I Am that is that,
I Am who I Am that is that,
I Am who I Am, Thank God I Am! (repeat 4 times)

I am who I Am, that is that
I am who you are looking back,
You are who I Am can you imagine that,
There is one God and that's a fact.

God Bless the children,
Peace on the Earth.
-Guru Singh and Seal

Lokah Samastah
Sukino Bhavantu (translates to "May All Things Be Free")

Sat Nam (translates to "Truth is my Name")

Maranatha (translates to "Come Lord")

No comments: