Monday, August 11, 2008

I WANT MY MIDWIFE!

Lindsey is basically a woman involved with all things birth related and she has really opened my eyes to a lot of things...the biggest one being the importance of being informed about your birthing options. LA County seems to be pretty in tune with this, but Orange County is gradually taking away a woman's right to choose how and where she can give birth.

The decision in Roe v. Wade was premised on a woman's constitutional right to control the use of her body for reproductive purposes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should also include the right to control how she chooses to give birth. The decision to have a natural birth is being threatened by doctors all over the country who are refusing to collaborate with midwives and doulas. It is extremely unfortunate that so many women are not informed of their birthing options and are convinced to major abdominal surgery for no reason whatsoever.

I want to encourage everyone (not just pregnant women) to read this article and take the time to research. I pray that when it is my turn to give birth that I will be able to choose how and where it happens.

Thanks to OC Weekly for posting this amazing article!

http://www.ocweekly.com/features/features/fewer-oc-hospitals-are-allowing-midwife-assisted-births-and-moms-to-be-arent-taking-it-lying-down/29041/

No comments: