Monday, August 25, 2008

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

During our retreat one of the leaders, Julie, gave us an awesome Mirror Meditation to do which I highly enjoyed. Of course, because I liked it so much, I lost the instructions and can't remember exactly how to do it. But the gist of the meditation is to imagine that you are surrounded by floor length mirrors and everywhere you look you see your own reflection. During this meditation you are to send unconditional amounts of love to your reflection and once you have absorbed as much love you can handle, you are to imagine the mirrors swiveling to the outside world to bounce that love to others. In addition to bouncing the love to others, the mirrors also symbolize a barrier to keep negative things away from you...it reminds me of that rhyme we used to say as kids "I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you."

If you look at my previous blog and check out the lyrics from Guru Singh and Seal's song "I Am" you'll notice the line "I am who you are, looking back. You are who I am, can you imagine that?" This line has truly made me think about who I am and how and why I treat others the way that I do.

I had an unusual experience of late, in which another decided to push my buttons, unprovoked.
It's nothing "new" in this life experience of mine; just another day. But it brought to light the mirror meditation and the song...Was she showing "me" that which I was? No, for I am not like her, by any way shape or form...until she pushed the envelope.

My answer back to her behavior was that which she puts out to the mirror and gets back.
What you give out, you get back...and sometimes you are just as I was; you are just the mirror for the other. I was holding the space, her opportunity to perfect her 'self'. The image of the self.
Which made me think, one doesn't need to necessarily "look" in the mirror, for other people will reflect back that which you put out.

Taking my cue from Guru Singh and Seal I would like to say that I AM blessed. I AM blessed to be surrounded by the most wondrous, kind and caring people; those who will uplift when the day may be sliding downward, those who will say hello in a way that "makes your day".

Just as I AM blessed to be surrounded by those who push buttons, and who give me the opportunity to know myself, in depth; examining the who, the what and the how.
And to be a mirror for them as well; to be the I AM that which I see in you.

With all of that being said, I hope that because I am now at peace with who I am (and thank God for that everyday), that others will see that peace, love and joy within me, and would respond to it in a positive way.

I hope that you all enjoy the day whatever it brings you.
Bless the message, and bless the messenger; for if nothing else, we're here to perfect that which we decided to do this time around, and all is well and perfect in your life.

It is just as you decided it would be; joyful or not.

No comments: