Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Anjali Mudra

There are many theories as to why we fold our hands to pray or bring our hands to our heart, but whatever the origin, it is a widely known practice today in many religions. I rarely fold my hands in prayer anymore, not because I don't have reverence for God, but because I feel that my God does not require me to do anything in order to pray. I can pray whenever and however I choose.

In Yoga, the praying hands is called the anjali mudra. A mudra is a gesture or a position of the hand that locks and guides the energy flow through your body. The anjali mudra is used for centering your mind and body and to balance your bodies energy. It is also symbolic of adoration. I love that...and from now on that is going to be my reason for the anjali mudra in church, in yoga, or anywhere else in life. It will be used to show my adoration for God, for others, and for myself.


No comments: